The 2020 funding outcome was announced by Senator the Hon Marise Payne, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Minister for Women, and the Hon Dan Tehan MP, Minister for Education last week.
The New Colombo Plan is a key initiative of the Australian Government aiming to enhance knowledge and engagement with the Indo-Pacific region in Australia by supporting Australian undergraduates to study and undertake internships in the region.
Macquarie received a record amount of funding totalling $2,403,450, more than double the funding received in 2019.
The funding will enable 481 students to travel to Asia for semester exchange or short-term programs between 2020 and 2023.
Destinations include India, South Korea, Philippines, Taiwan, Fiji, Singapore, Vietnam, China, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, New Caledonia and Thailand.
A total of 24 single- or multi-year projects were approved in the 2020 funding round, including:
- Engineering exchange and internship in Japan, Thailand and Vietnam
- Environmental studies and natural resources management in New Caledonia
- Speech, hearing and research collaboration in the Philippines
- Teacher education professional practicum placements in India and Fiji
- Business Innovation Challenge in Singapore
- Business semester exchange in Vietnam, India, Fiji and the Philippines
- Security Studies semester exchange and language training in Taiwan and the Philippines
- Korean Culture short term study in South Korea
- India semester exchange and study tour for Arts students
- PACE International mobility projects in Malaysia, Cambodia, China, Fiji, India and Indonesia
- Global Leadership Program China Symposium
Pro-Vice Chancellor (International) Nicole Brigg says the grants provide opportunities for students to give themselves a global edge.
“Students will immerse themselves in the Indo-Pacific region, undertaking studies, gaining industry experience and learning about other cultures,” says Ms Brigg.
“We are grateful for the Government’s support in our efforts to nurture our students’ global awareness and employability, while fostering Macquarie’s strong ties across our region."
Macquarie University New Colombo Plan Project leads and support staff.Subscribe for Media Release updates